Thursday, June 21, 2012

Let's score a deal


Being the stingy frugal folks that we are, my husband and I like a good freebie. Okay, let's be honest; my husband is not half as stingy as I am--just let me loose in a dollar store and I'm a happy camper :) While there are some second hand thrift stores in Paris, compared to the Goodwill/Salvation Army/St. Vinnie's lot in the States, they're few and far between. But that doesn't mean you can't score a good deal in Franceland my friends. In fact, sometimes, it's actually a better deal. Aka, free--as in nada, nilch, zero. All you have to do is snatch it before someone else gets to it...

 I give you exhibit A:



Found on the side of the road a midst a buttload of junk on the way home from the grocery store just waiting for a little TLC. 


Yes, extremely dusty, but otherwise totally fine. 



After a bit of scrubbing it was ready for my mantle... 

We actually have a ton of free stuff laying around in our place, from these dining chairs that were abandoned in our friends' basement when they moved in...


...to this dresser that was left behind with a "Free, take me!" sign in our apartment courtyard (oh yes, I totally dragged that baby all by myself up three flights of stairs--there was no way I was letting a free dresser get away!). 


This fabulous coffee table was a birthday present from a friend who'd found both the base and the top separate outside on her curb and put them together. 



Some might think a table that they found out on the street a little odd for a birthday present but in my book that only increased her awesomeness! 



And last but not least, there's the chair... 



Yep, it was totally outside, sittin' on the side walk just waiting to be adopted into a loving home....of course, this was all the way across Paris which meant us bringing it back to it's rightful place in our home... 



Okay, more like Matt bringing it back that is... but hey, it did make for a nicer chair to chill in while waiting for the metro and then regional train... 


Isn't he cute?? ;) I dared him to sit in it once we got inside the metro car but his audacity only went as far as the platform :) 


But in the end we got 'er done. 

No comments: