Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Home Tour: The Bathroom


Ah...yes. Everybody's fav spot: the bathroom. Just kidding. You might notice that there is one thing noticeably lacking in ours (hint: it starts with a T and it's not me!). That's because we have what we like to affectionately call "The John." Our toilet is so special that we have a whole other room for it... Haha it's a European thing I think. 

Here she be in all her back in the day glory:  
(Matt's still working on his model face)


Sorry the pics aren't super clear--it's such a small room that getting a 'wide angle' shot just wasn't happening.... 
The white behind the dryer is actually a door originally leading to the kitchen that was blocked off by the owners at some point. Too bad...could have made for some great practical jokes from the kitchen... 


To Matt's profound relief, it was blocked off and made for the perfect laundry nook. There's actually a pull out drawer in between the front loading washer and dryer (which my smart in-laws passed on to us at the beginning of the move) which serves to stabilize the dryer on top and provides an instant folding/sorting shelf. I love it because it makes loading dry clothes out of the dryer and into the laundry basket (on top) super fast and easy (a great thing for a lazy butt like me). 




I can't begin to tell you how much I hated the bathroom tile before. I think it was borderline obsessional. So in order to preserve his wife's sanity, Matt asked the landlords if we could paint the wall tiles (paint is getting so sophisticated these days!). After reassuring them that we weren't thinking lime green or barbie pink, I got to work painting my bathroom world white. Of course that led to more problems because now suddenly I noticed that the walls above the tile weren't actually white but really more a dirty cream color. I'm telling you--I've got a problem. So now I buy dark gray bathroom paint and slap some of that up there. Much better. That and a shower curtain (compliments of my parents who actually managed to bring both the curtain and the adjustable curtain rod in their suitcases!)... 


...and suddenly my butt-ugly bathroom was transformed into a very relaxing, non-obsessional space! Ahh, the power of decorating. 


We didn't have a place for a hand towel either so I popped up a stick-on hook onto the wall that's been working great for us ever since! 


And then for a bit more added practicality we sneaked in a few more laundry tools. The metal iron/ironing board holder is actually one I randomly chanced across at a yard sale last spring...


And there you have it: our salle de bain


1 comment:

joycelynn51 said...

Very nice; I love the gray.